Video and lesson investigations on the topic of sign language . Key concepts include:
- Sign language can be useful.
- For some people, sign language is essential.
- Signals and sign language can be useful where speaking and hearing is not possible.
- For sign language to have meaning, both the sender of the message and the receiver of the message have to understand what the signals mean.
- Some sign languages are complex and can be used for conversation.
- Signals are often symbols for words and phrases.
- Sign language used by people who have little or no hearing (or ‘signing’ as it is often called) involves making a picture or sign with one or two hands.
- The picture often stands for the concept behind the word as well as the word itself.
- For example, the sign for ‘big’ can also mean large, huge, enormous, or gigantic, by changing the feeling of the gesture with eyes, face, body and legs.