Video and lesson investigations on the topic of rainbows. Key concepts include:
- Rainbows are caused by the effect of sunlight on water drops.
- White light (sunlight) is a combination of all colors (the colors of the rainbow).
- Triangular blocks of glass can split white light into this different colors, giving the same effect.
- Prisms and raindrops bend sunlight as it enters.
- This splits the white light into its component colors.
- These different colors are reflected off the back of the raindrop and out again towards the viewer. This is what the viewer sees.
- The viewer needs to between the sun and the water droplet.
- The old magical belief that there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow can never be so. As you move, so does the vantage point from which you are seeing the rainbow, and the rainbow itself will either move too, or disappear altogether.