Video and lesson investigations on the topic of smell . Key concepts include:
- Some animals need a good sense of smell.
- There may be different reasons for needing a good sense of smell.
- Predators like in wait downwind of their prey so that they themselves cannot be smelled.
- Certain smells have meaning for animals.
- Smells can indicate food, companions, territory or danger.
- An animal’s use of smell has evolved to suit its life-style and the environment in which it lives.
- Smells are caused by molecules of a substance entering the nose and reaching the ‘smell detectors’ which are special nerve cells.
- These detectors send messages through the olfactory nerve to the area of the brain responsible for interpreting smells.
- The brain tells you what you smell.
- The senses of smell and taste are closely linked.
- That is why we cannot taste or smell very well when we have a cold.