Video and lesson investigations on the topic of touch. Key concepts include:
- Animals sometimes communicate by touch.
- Parent animals often comfort their young through touching.
- Touching is important for most young animals. Animal courtship routines often involve touching.
- Sometimes this is ritual behavior.
- Sometimes the touching is functional.
- Touching between human beings can be a powerful form of communication and also a way of passing on a personal message.
- Touching plays critical roles in human social relationships including infant bonding and attachment, caretaking, aggression, courtship, sexual relations, first impressions, children’s interactions, and in medical settings.
- Touching is crucial for the healthy development of babies and is one of the main ways in which they learn about the world.