Video and lesson investigations on the topic of being deaf. Key concepts include:
- Noise sounds different to people who cannot hear properly.
- It is possible to get some sense of what it is like to be deaf.
- There are many different degrees of deafness.
- The degree of deafness may affect the quality and volume of noise that can be heard.
- Simulating deaf or partial-hearing conditions can help in understanding how sound is interpreted and used by humans.
- Hearing impairments afflict more people than any other chronic disability.
- There are many different degrees of hearing impairment.
- In some cases this can be temporary and in others it is permanent.
- The most common form of permanent hearing impairment is otosclerosis which is caused by bony deposits that prevent sound vibrations from passing through to inner ear.
- Most people with this form of hearing loss rely on a hearing aid which is a miniature microphone, amplifier and loudspeaker