Video and lesson investigations on the topic of hunting by ear. Key concepts include:
- Owls use their ears as well as their eyes to locate their prey.
- Some owls have ears which are slightly different from each other.
- This enables them to locate pre with greater precision that if the ears were identical.
- Such owls have evolved a hearing system which suits their life-style and the environment in which they live.
- Owls that have asymmetrical ear openings, which are s paced widely apart, are able to determine the direction of a sound because it reaches each ear at a slightly different time.
- This allows them to pinpoint a sound by a process of triangulation.
- This can make an owl’s ear sensitive enough to detect the slight noise a mouse makes when running over twigs and leaves on the ground.