Video and lesson investigations on the topic of magnets. Key concepts include:
- Magnets attract some things.
- Magnetism works whether the objects are touching or not.
- Magnets can repel each other.
- Magnetic force spreads through any iron, steel, cobalt or nickel object which touches a magnet.
- These are the only ‘natural’ magnets.
- Alloys, which are combinations of these metals, can also be magnetic. Non-magnetic substances are neither attracted nor repelled by magnets. Whether two magnets attract or repel each other depends on the position of their ‘poles’.