Video and lesson investigations on the topic of levers. Key concepts include:
- Levers can make it easier to move things.
- With some levers, the object to be moved is at one end of the lever and push or pull is exerted on the other end.
- There are different kinds of lever but all levers need a point about which the lever can turn (the pivot).
- Where the pivot is positioned is important.
- Some types of lever convert a small force at one end into a larger force at the other.
- The strength of the levering force is affected by the position of the pivot.
- With some levers, eg. A nutcracker, the pivot (or fulcrum) is at the end and there are two lever arms which work together to get the job done.