Video and lesson investigations on the topic of bicycles and forces. Key concepts include:
- Bicycles are person-powered machines.
- Machines can change the direction of movement.
- Chains carry the power from the front cogwheel to the back cogwheel. All machines need forces to make them work.
- Forces can be transmitted from one place to another by various means. The design of a machine has to fit the way it will be used and its intended purpose.
- Bicycles are interesting structures to study.
- There are a variety of different bicycles designed for different types of use. Bikes need friction in order to move, or they will skid.
- They also employ friction and levers as a means of braking, and need lubricants on he moving parts.