Video and lesson investigations on the topic of bridges. Key concepts include:
- Bridges provide a means of spanning a gap or some other form of barrier such as water, railways or roads.
- There are different designs of bridges.
- Bridges can be made from different materials.
- Wide gaps are more difficult to bridge.
- Most bridges are supported from below.
- Suspension bridges are supported from above as well as below.
- Bridges have existed ever since humans found ways to shorten journeys by building them.
- Early bridges used logs or large stones.
- Suspension bridges were also an early form of ‘getting across’ with cables made of vines. In the fourth century AD, suspension bridges were built in India out of plaited bamboo cables.