Award-winning video and lesson investigations on the topic of getting water from a well. Key concepts include:
- Wells are an ancient means of obtaining water.
- In many countries wells are still used as a main source of water.
- In certain places, water collects beneath the surface of the land.
- This is called the ‘water table’.
- It can sometimes be reached by digging deep holes that go below the surface of the water table.
- The water has to be lifted to the surface.
- People have devised various methods of getting water from wells by using buckets, ropes and pulleys.
- They have found ways of making the task of lifting water easier.