Video and lesson investigations on the topic of bridges. Key concepts include:
- Arches are strong shapes.
- The keystone at the center of the arch holds the arch in place.
- Structural strength may be due to the construction material used and/or the structural design.
- In an arch, all the forces are pushing on the base, the sides, between the stones and onto the keystone area.
- These forces all balance out so the arch does not move.
- There are many different designs of arch bridges and they can be constructed out of many different materials.
- The use of an ‘arch’ as a strong building structure has a long history dating back to at least Greek and Roman times.