Video and lesson investigations on the topic of testing hearing. Key concepts include:
- Simple tests can; be done to check hearing.
- It is important to make accurate measurements if the results are to be useful. ‘What’ to record and the ‘best’ method of recording have to be carefully decided.
- Experiments can be modified to make them more accurate or to give more usable results.
- The way results are recorded also depends on what the information is to be used for.
- Ensuring that the testing procedures are ‘fair’
is very important.
- It is easy to miss a detail that renders the test unreliable.
- Test results are only as reliable as the reliability of the testing procedures. Medical testing of hearing makes use of a more sophisticated testing device called an audiometer.