Video and lesson investigations on the topic of streamlining. Key concepts include:
- Smooth shapes travel through air and water more easily than shapes that are not smooth.
- All objects moving through air and water encounter resistance.
- This resistance, called ‘drag’, is caused by a fluid (such as air or water) pushing against an object, causing the object to move less rapidly through that fluid.
- Smooth (streamlined) shapes overcome the effects of ‘drag’ more effectively. They allow air to move around them more easily.
The movement of air around objects can be observed with smoke trails in wind tunnels.
- Fast transport vehicles are designed to reduce ‘drag’.
- Some animals are streamlined to suit the lifestyles in which they live.