Video and lesson investigations on the topic of the senses. Key concepts include:
- Animals have five senses: seeing; hearing; touching; tasting and smelling.
- Each sense organ has a particular function.
- Senses allow animals to detect what is happening in the world around them. The senses detect stimuli.
- Different stimuli produce different reactions.
- The senses are used for a variety of different purposes.
- In humans, messages from our senses (eg. Touching a hot stove with our fingers) are sent through the central nervous system to our brains for processing. The brain then sends messages back to those parts of the body that need to react (eg. Move hands away before they get burned).
- This whole process only takes a fraction of a second to occur.